Monday, January 10, 2022

Widening the Perception

Widening the Perception


I remembered an incident, which happened in my life many years ago, during my college days in London.

 

It was a lazy Sunday morning and I had taken my dirty linen for wash to the coin operated washing booths, located nearby. Having stowed my laundry, I walked out and sat on the bench of a nearby garden.

 

As I was sitting there, enjoying the gentle rays of sunlight, a drunken British beggar came near me, and started talking to me in abusive language. In London, as you walk down the streets you could see some beggars, who come and ask you, “hello, can you spare a few pence, please?” This person was one such kind, but because he was drunk he was behaving a bit differently. He seemed to be disturbed, which in turn disturbed me. It was a very uncomfortable situation for me, sitting there and listening to all his blubbering. I showed I was not interested in hearing what he says, by turning away my face (just like what the British do).  He said, “You, ….…... (abusive words) guys, have come and robbed away all the jobs and we British or on the streets”.  I understood he was jobless and he was finding a vent to his feelings, by abusing me.  I was just seeing, how fast I could get away from this situation, just when a British lady who passed by, saw this happening and came to my rescue. She came and told the drunken guy to move out of the place or she will call the cops, in a commanding tone. She also told the drunken guy something, which I still fondly remember. She said, “He is our guest and it is not good manners to treat him like this”.

 


Both were British, but both had a different attitude towards an Indian. One person treated me like a “robber”, while the other person treated me like a “guest”.

 

Often in life the fact remains the same, but the way we perceive the fact makes all the difference. There are people who choose to live with a positive attitude, while there is a majority choosing a negative attitude.

 

While I lived in London, some of my Asian friends, used to say, these whites have a scorn towards the Asians & Blacks.  I used to revert back saying that, why should we think that way.  I believe that, no can make us feel inferior without our permission. It is only by we letting go our self esteem, we get into such a complex.

 

If alone we can keep our self esteem high, nothing in this world can affect us. If some one looks down at you, there is no reason to shun away from them. You can look straight into their eye and re-affirm that you are an equal. This is what Gandhiji, too preached. We do not have to allow external influence to have an effect on the way we look at life. In fact, by looking straight into their eye, you make a bold statement that you are honest and open about the relationship. This will help the other person to come in terms with you.

 

It is the same British people who treated the Indians, like dirt during our pre-independence time, who have conferred, the Man of the Millennium title to Mahathma Gandhi.

 

We human beings are evolving not only in our life style, but also in our consciousness. The more our consciousness grows, the more peaceful our lives would be. It is time; we widen our perspective and become willing to change our perception. The world is changing. Are you changing with the world?
















   D. Senthil Kannan,

   Managing Trustee, PALMS, Tuticorin.
   Author of "Transformational Thoughts" - A Journey of learning 
   Email: senthilkannand@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Analysis Paralysis

  Analysis Paralysis In one of Aesop's fable , “ The Fox and the Cat” , the fox boasts of hundreds of ways of escaping while the cat has...